Friday, July 2, 2010
Steak Mole with Cilantro
* PREP: 25 minutes
* TOTAL: 25 minutes
Recipe by the Bon Appetit
* 2 teaspoons ground cumin, divided
* 1 16-ounce top sirloin steak
* 1 tablespoon olive oil
* 1 cup coarsely chopped red onion
* 1 cup canned crushed tomatoes
* 1/2 cup low-salt chicken broth
* 2 tablespoons bittersweet or semisweet chocolate chips
* 3/4 teaspoon minced canned chipotle chiles in adobo or chipotle hot sauce
* 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
* 1/2 teaspoon finely grated orange peel
* Fresh cilantro leaves
Rub 3/4 teaspoon cumin on each side of steak. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Heat oil in large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add steak to 1 side of skillet and onion to other side. Cook until onion is brown and steak is medium-rare, stirring onion and turning steak once, 6 to 7 minutes. Transfer steak to plate. Add tomatoes, broth, chocolate, chipotles, cinnamon, and 1/2 teaspoon cumin to skillet. Stir 2 minutes. Add orange peel; season with salt. Puree in blender.
Slice steak and divide among 4 plates. Drizzle with sauce; top with cilantro leaves.
Served here with asparagus and fennel salad.